Tuesday, October 26, 2010

EngQuizzitive - CET - 14 (grammar) : Personal Pronouns : Answers

Pronouns are words used in place of nouns.There are different types of pronouns.Some of them are as follows :
  • Personal [used only for people]
  • Indefinite
  • Reflexive
  • Demonstrative
This quiz is based on personal pronouns.

A pronoun has three aspects : number [ pronouns can be singular or plural]
                                              gender [masculine,feminine,common and neuter]
                                              case [subjective,objective and possessive]

A more detailed post on the case puzzle and theory of pronouns can be found on this link : http://engquizzitive.blogspot.com/2010/07/grammar-quiz-v-personal-pronouns.html

Order of the pronouns

When all the three persons of the pronouns are used together they follow an order.This order depends on whether the sentence conveys a positive or a negative meaning.

If the sentence conveys a positive meaning the order would be II,III and I
eg. You , Rahul and I would be awarded for our performance.
If the sentence conveys a negative meaning the order to be followed is I,II and III
eg. I ,you and Rahul would have to apologize for the misconduct of the class.

Answers
  1. It was I who documented the naxalite movement among the Naxalites in Andhra Pradesh.[since it is the subject that we are refering to here we use the subjective form that is I]
  2. Rahul and I had a spirited argument. [since both are subjects the subjective form 'I' is used]
  3. Let him and her come and meet me in my chamber after lunch. [since it is a command we use the objective case of the pronoun]
  4. I , you and Ram must take the blame for the failure of the project. [order of the pronouns : the sentence conveys a negative meaning hence the order : I,II and III]
  5. It is they who taught people the right attitude to life. [since it is the subject that we are refering to the subjective case 'they' is used]
For another quiz on personal pronouns : http://engquizzitive.blogspot.com/2010/07/grammar-quiz-v-personal-pronouns_11.html

9 comments:

  1. Ma'am,
    Y can't we use 'me' in the first sentence???!

    ReplyDelete
  2. in d 5th question y they..could u pls elaborate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. then for positive sentenc...it shud b II I III person?? lik you i and ram?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rakshaa,

    Since we refer to a subject here we need to use a pronoun in the subjective case which is 'I' and not 'me' [me is used in the objective case]

    ReplyDelete
  5. MA'AM
    IN WHICH CASE WE USE RAM YOU AND I

    ReplyDelete
  6. in quest 4 if the sentence would be positive then wht would be the order ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. in question 4th how can we used I first?????????

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the 4th sentence I, You and Ram is used because the sentence has a negative implication..i.e the blame for the failure of the project..
    Ram, You and I are used when the sentence has a positive meaning...like being praised or so..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mam
    about the 3rd sentence
    him and her ?????????
    it can be they

    ReplyDelete